Popular Posts

Monday, August 6, 2012

Tujikumbushe historia...


Dr. Banda also claimed substantial parts of Tanzania, including - Rungwe district - and the rest of Mbeya Region in southwestern Tanzania, as Malawian territory. He also claimed the entire Eastern Province of Zambia, provoking a curt response from Zambia’s president, Dr. Kenneth Kaunda, who challenged Banda to 'Go ahead and declare war on Zambia.'

And President Nyerere dismissed Banda’s claim to large chunks of Tanzanian territory as 'expansionist outbursts, which do not scare us, and do not deserve my reply.' The outlandish claim also drew a sharp response from Nyerere who said Dr. Banda was 'insane.' But, he warned, 'Dr. Banda must not be ignored; the powers behind him are not insane.'"


Akizungumza ktk chuo kikuu cha Dar es Salaam, November 1997, Mwalimu Nyerere alisema 

"In 1961 we became independent. In 1962, early 1962, I resigned as prime minister and then a few weeks later I received Dr. Banda.Mungu amuweke mahali pema (May God rest his soul in peace). I received Dr. Banda. We had just, FRELIMO had just been established here and we were now in the process of starting the armed struggle. 

So Banda comes to me with a big old book, with lots and lots of maps in it, and tells me, 'Mwalimu, what is this, what is Mozambique? There is no such thing as Mozambique.' I said, 'What do you mean there is no such thing as Mozambique?' So he showed me this map, and he said: 'That part is part of Nyasaland (it was still Nyasaland, not Malawi, at that time). That part is part of Southern Rhodesia, that part is Swaziland, and this part, which is the northern part, Makonde part, that is YOUR part.' 

So Banda disposed of Mozambique just like that. I ridiculed the idea, and Banda never liked anybody to ridicule his ideas. So he left and went to Lisbon to talk to Salazar about this wonderful idea. I don’t know what Salzar told him. That was in 62’

No comments: